This is a user-list question, not a dev-list question. Moving this conversation
to the user list and BCC-ing the dev list.

Also, this statement

> We are not validating against table or column existence.

is not correct. When you call spark.sql(…), Spark will lookup the table
references and fail with TABLE_OR_VIEW_NOT_FOUND if it cannot find them.

Also, when you run DDL via spark.sql(…), Spark will actually run it. So
spark.sql(“drop table my_table”) will actually drop my_table. It’s not a
validation-only operation.

This question of validating SQL is already discussed on Stack Overflow
<https://stackoverflow.com/q/46973729/877069>. You may find some useful tips
there.

Nick