The variability in task completion times could be caused by variability in
the amount of work that those tasks perform rather than slow or faulty
nodes.

For PageRank, consider a link graph contains a few disproportionately
popular webpages that have many inlinks (such as Yahoo.com).  These
high-degree nodes may cause significant communications imbalances because
they receive and send many messages in a Pregel-like model.  If you look at
the distribution of shuffled data sizes, does it exhibit similar skew to
the task completion times?

The PowerGraph paper gives a good overview of the challenges posed by these
types of large-scale natural-graphs and develops techniques to split up and
parallelize the processing of these high-degree nodes:
http://graphlab.org/powergraph-presented-at-osdi/