The lineage information of any computed RDD is persisted to recover incase
of failure. In your case, if the input RDD is in the failed node, then
SPARK has enough information as to how the input RDD is calculated from
file system/scala collection of a transformation from some other RDD. It
recomputes and then carries forward with the stage wise computation.

The only checkpointing done by default by SPARK is the lineage of how RDDs
are derived…However for RDDs with very long lineage, you can force
checkpointing.