Whoops, mislabeled the colors in the graph. Corrected below.

From: <Elder>, Catherine Elder
<catherine.el...@viasat.com<mailto:catherine.el...@viasat.com>>
Date: Saturday, October 4, 2014 at 5:06 PM
To: "user@storm.apache.org<mailto:user@storm.apache.org>"
<user@storm.apache.org<mailto:user@storm.apache.org>>
Subject: storm spout reading from head of stream dies after a few minutes

Hi everyone,

I have a kafka-storm problem where the kafka spout stops sending tuples after a
few minutes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have a storm topology reading from a kafka spout (storm and storm-kafka
0.9.2). My problem is, when I configure the spout to read from the head of the
stream (SpoutConfig startOffsetTime = -1), the spout sends tuples for 5 or 10
minutes, then stops. It emits a small burst of tuples once every 8 hours after
that.
Another weird thing: when I configure the spout to read from the tail of the
stream, 24 hrs ago (SpoutConfig startOffsetTime = -2), the spout sends tuples
without stopping, although the timestamps of the tuples stay 24 hrs behind (the
spout doesn’t fall behind or catch up).
Also, the total volume of tuples in either case is a lot lower than I expect.

Here’s a graph of the 1 minute rate of tuples hitting my first bolt (head of
stream in green, tail of stream in blue). You can see the "head of stream”
topology drying up after a few minutes.

I have spout metrics enabled, but I’m not sure what to look for. I attached
some metrics (emitted after both topologies ran for an hour).

Thanks,
Catherine