Strictly, I think the answer is yes but not the way you are thinking.  I
use some code based on StormSubmitter to start a topology without using
storm jar.  In my case I create 2 artifacts...the fatjar and another one
that is used to read existing configs, create the topology and submit the
topology to the nimbus.  So technically it does not use storm jar, but I'm
not sure if that helps you.