Having ip mappings in /etc/hosts is often a remedy for such issues. Maybe it
can help.

From: Nathan Leung <ncle...@gmail.com<mailto:ncle...@gmail.com>>
Date: Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 3:30 PM
To: user <user@storm.apache.org<mailto:user@storm.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Storm is unable to connect to the network or localhost

The storm process is run by the same user that the supervisor is running as.

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 6:24 PM, Zotti, Ryan J.
<ryan.zo...@capitalone.com<mailto:ryan.zo...@capitalone.com>> wrote:
I've written a topology in Kafka and Storm. The topology works great until I
try to make a Bolt that tries to either connect to the internet (via a restful
API) or localhost (MongoDB) -- Storm is not able to connect to either. Does
anyone know why this might happen? Is Kafka interfering somehow? For what it's
worth, I'm running Kafka and Storm inside a Docker container that is itself run
inside a server protected by a proxy server with a strong firewall. What makes
this tough to debug is that I'm able to connect to localhost and I'm also able
to run the restful API inside the Docker container and firewall when I'm not
using Storm. So I'm guessing either Kafka or Storm is causing the issue. When
Storm runs, is the process handed off to root? I have proxy settings that are
only configured for myself (not root), so it’s possible that if the Storm
process is handed off to some ID other than my own then my proxy settings would
no longer apply, although this shouldn’t affect a connection to localhost.

Below is my python Bolt code if anyone is interested.

import storm
import urllib2

class TestBolt(storm.BasicBolt):

    def process(self, tup):
        throw_away_input = str(tup.values[0]).strip()
        response = urllib2.urlopen('http://python.org/')
    html = response.read()
        storm.emit([html])

TestBolt().run()

Thanks,
Ryan

Ryan Zotti
Software Engineer, Enterprise Data Services
804.393.1656<tel:804.393.1656>
ryan.zo...@capitalone.com<mailto:ryan.zo...@capitalone.com>

[cid:image001.jpg@01CFA4FA.31511390]

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to
Capital One and/or its affiliates. The information transmitted herewith is
intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed.  If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying
or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please
contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.