When you send a tuple from the spout, it sets the message id in the acker.
When a message fans out, it did logical xor of new tuple ids with the
existing message id, and when tuples get acked their message id id xor'd
into the same value again. This fanning out tuples should be quite light
weight.

I've worked with a topology that had very very night fan outs but we did
not use reliable messaging for this topology because of the time scale so
it's not directly comparable. Maybe others who have experience with this
setup can chime in.