Hi Jeff,

What makes us believe that is that, when using a spouts-only topology (we
needed to coordinate transactions between three systems and ensure exactly
once semantics) we had better performance, even when feeding from a slower
input. When we added bolts, performance degraded as stuff has to be shipped
instead of being immediately processed. Also, batching messages (ie passing
tuples that contained lists of elements to be processed) improved
performance as there is less network coordination chatter.

Regards,
Javier