Totally my bad.  I did not actually go look at the spouts to see if they
were implemented as reliable spouts or not.

If you haven't already read these, I would read them now:
https://storm.apache.org/documentation/Concepts.html
https://storm.apache.org/documentation/Guaranteeing-message-processing.html

I learned about reliable spouts by dissecting the Kafka spout:
https://github.com/apache/storm/blob/v0.9.4/external/storm-kafka/src/jvm/storm/kafka/KafkaSpout.java

Sorry, I don't have a simpler example on hand.

The essentials are this:

* Your spout handles :
** Gathering records from its datasource
** Sending records to the rest of the topology ( emit )
** what to do when a tuple successfully completes the topology ( ack )
** what to do when a tuple fails "somewhere" in the topology ( fail )
* Storm handles :
** delivery to all bolts in a topology of an individual tuple
** guaranteed reporting of an individual tuple's success or failure back to
the originating spout
* To make use of guaranteed message processing:
** When your spout emits a tuple, it must emit a unique message id.  This
message id is returned to the spout whenever a report is made on the tuple
( ack or fail )
** When your bolt is finished with a tuple, it must notify Storm using
either ack(tuple) or fail(tuple)

Thank you for your time!

Jeff Maass <maas...@gmail.com>
linkedin.com/in/jeffmaass