I wanted to understand how Storm works when one of its worker crashes.

SO here is the situation I ran into recently. My topology is distributed across
2 workers with a total of 6 threads. Somehow 3 threads died because one worker
went down. At the same time nimbus service was also down because of which it
could not spin up threads on other available workers.

I noticed Storm wasn't processing messages for the topology till Nimbus was
restored and it spun up the remaining threads that were down. Is this the
expected behavior?

I was expecting Storm to continue processing messages with 1 half of the
threads still up on the other worker.

Thanks,
Ganesh