Hi Sam,

Generally, Ganglia gives usage of CPU, Memory, Disk and Network of the
whole cluster while visual VM shows CPU and Memory metrics per JVM.

If the topology is the only running job on your cluster, Ganglia will let
you know whether your topology has fully utilized the resources of the
cluster and where the bottleneck is. For example, is the CPU abnormally
high for very simple logics ? is the GbE network already full ?

With visual VM, you might be able to pinpoint the problem. It shows the CPU
condition of each thread at runtime, whether it's running, sleeping or
blocking and the thread can be dumped. Plus, you can also do sampling or
profiling for CPU / memory which can help you to find the hot spots in your
code.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Manu