So the Spout documentation (assuming its correct...) here (
http://storm.apache.org/releases/current/Concepts.html#spouts) mentions
this:

"The main method on spouts is nextTuple. nextTuple either emits a new tuple
into the topology or simply returns if there are no new tuples to emit. *It
is imperative that nextTuple does not block for any spout implementation,
because Storm calls all the spout methods on the same thread.*"

When developing a custom spout we interpreted it to mean that any "real
work" done by a spout should be done in a separate thread, and decided on
the following pattern which seems some what relevant to what you are trying
to do in your bolts.

On Spout prepare, we create a concurrent/thread safe queue.  We then create
a new Thread passing it a reference to our thread safe queue.  This thread
handles finding new data that needs to be emitted.  When that thread finds
data, it adds it to the shared queue.  When the spout's nextTuple() method
is called, it looks for data on the shared queue and emits it.

I imagine doing async processing in a bolt using one or more threads could
work with a similar pattern.  On prepare you setup your thread(s) with
references to a shared queue.  The bolt passes work to be completed to the
thread(s), the thread(s) communicate back to the bolt the result via a
shared queue.  Add in the concept of tick tuples to ensure your bolt checks
for completed work on a regular basis?

Is there a better way to do this?