As you mentioned already: Storm is designed to run topologies forever ;)
If you have finite data, why do you not use a batch processor???

As a workaround, you can embed "control messages" in your stream (or use
an additional stream for them).

If you want a topology to shut down itself, you could use
`NimbusClient.getConfiguredClient(conf).getClient().killTopology(name);`
in your spout/bolt code.

Something like:
 - Spout emit all tuples
 - Spout emit special "end of stream" control tuple
 - Bolt1 processes everything
 - Bolt1 forward "end of stream" control tuple (when it received it)
 - Bolt2 processed everything
 - Bolt2 receives "end of stream" control tuple => flush to DB => kill
topology

But I guess, this is kinda weird pattern.

-Matthias