Storm does do serialization in local mode just like in cluster mode, but
you have to understand that storm only serializes objects when necessary.
If the object is sent within a worker it is not serialized.  One of the
requirements of storm is that you treat your input as immutable and you
don't modify your output once it is sent.  This is because that same object
may be in use by another bolt also.

- Bobby