There's a small discrepancy, in the old spout we track the offset the next
batch should start at, while in storm-kafka-client we track the last
emitted offset. So for example if offset 0, 1, 2 were emitted, the old
spout would store offset = 0, nextOffset = 3. The new spout would store
firstOffset = 0, lastOffset = 2. I think it should be lastOffset =
nextOffset - 1. Other than that I agree with your mapping.

> [...]
>> } if you are using wildcard topic subscriptions
>> { "${topicName}partition_${partition}': {"offset": 0, "nextOffset": 2 }
>> } otherwise (I left out some irrelevant properties)
>>
>> For storm-kafka-client the zk path is
>> ${zkRoot}/${topicName}@${partition}
>>
>> and the storage format is
>> { "${topicName}@${partition}': {"firstOffset": 0, "nextOffset": 2 } }
>>
>> In order to migrate from storm-kafka to storm-kafka-client, we need to
>> stop the topology and run a script that moves the offsets from the old
>> location/format to the new location/format. There's no way to tell Trident
>> to read from one path/format and write to another, so it has to be done
>> offline. Once the offsets are migrated, the spout can be replaced in the
>> topology and the topology can be redeployed.
>>
>> I might look at writing an application that can do this at some point,
>> but it might take me a while. If you'd like to look at it yourself, here's
>> some pointers where to start:
>> * This is where the offset are written to Zookeeper, assuming you use an
>> opaque spout https://github.com/apache/storm/blob/master/storm-client/src
>> /jvm/org/apache/storm/trident/spout/OpaquePartitionedTrident
>> SpoutExecutor.java#L184. You might want to look at this class for a bit
>> (particularly the emit function), because it's pretty useful for
>> understanding how/where Trident stores metadata for spouts.
>> * The return value of https://github.com/apache/stor
>> m/blob/master/external/storm-kafka/src/jvm/org/apache/storm/
>> kafka/trident/TridentKafkaEmitter.java#L85 defines the format of what's
>> being saved to Zookeeper for storm-kafka. It's being wrapped in a map so
>> the full written value is { "${topicName}partition_${partition}':
>> ${theReturnValue} } (see the storage format note above, it's different if
>> you're not using wildcard subscriptions)
>> * Similarly for storm-kafka-client the return value of
>> https://github.com/apache/storm/blob/master/external/storm-k
>> afka-client/src/main/java/org/apache/storm/kafka/spout/tride
>> nt/KafkaTridentSpoutEmitter.java#L106 defines the format of what that
>> spout saves to Zookeeper (and expects to find).
>> * You should use zkCli (it's in your zookeeper/bin directory) to explore
>> your Zookeeper filesystem. It should be pretty easy to find your offsets in
>> there with that tool.
>>
>> Sorry about the wall of text, this turned out to have a lot of detail to
>> cover.

>>> Thanks Stig,
>>>
>>> So after some digging, I realized we are really migrating from the kafka
>>> trident emitter in storm-kafka, to the trident emitter in
>>> storm-kafka-client.
>>>
>>> As far as I can see, the offset information is still stored in zk, and
>>> the offset info for storm-kafka is (https://github.com/apache/sto
>>> rm/blob/master/external/storm-kafka/src/jvm/org/apache/storm
>>> /kafka/trident/TridentKafkaEmitter.java#L140)
>>>
>>> However this seems quite different from storm-kafka-client, which uses
>>> orm-kafka-client/src/main/java/org/apache/storm/kafka/spout/