The storm-kafka-client module is intended as the replacement for the
storm-kafka module. The storm-kafka module uses a Kafka client that is now
deprecated (
https://github.com/apache/kafka/blob/trunk/core/src/main/scala/kafka/consumer/SimpleConsumer.scala)
under the hood. Storm-kafka-client uses
https://kafka.apache.org/0110/javadoc/index.html?org/apache/kafka/clients/consumer/KafkaConsumer.html
instead.

If you're writing new code, you should use storm-kafka-client. We're
planning to remove storm-kafka in Storm 2.0.0, since the underlying client
has been deprecated and will probably be removed by Kafka at some point.