I'm assuming you applied the fix on top of 1.2.1 or something like that?
The exception can't be thrown from the branch I linked, since it was
removed in an earlier commit in 1.x-branch.

Your logs show that the committed offset for partition 6 is 1682098 (98 for
short). 98 was emitted, since it shows up in the emitted list. I'm guessing
it failed and was replayed. 99 and up are in the acked list, so they are
ready to commit as soon as 98 finishes processing.

The log shows that 99 is the tuple encountering the exception, so I'm
guessing what happened is that 98 was acked and the spout decided to commit
98, 99 etc. For some reason it then still decides to emit 99. The only
reasons I can think of (barring bugs in Kafka/the Kafka client) for that to
happen would be that 99 is in waitingToEmit and isn't being cleared out
during the commit (this is the bug I tried to fix), somehow 99 is still
queued for retry (this should not be possible) or for some reason the
consumer position ends up below the committed offset. I think the best bet
for tracking down why it happens would be logging the contents of the
RetryService, the contents of waitingToEmit and the consumer position both
after commitOffsetsForAckedTuples, and right before the exception is
thrown.

Could you try logging those? I can add the log statements on top of the
bugfix if needed.