Hi,

Before anything else, I'm using Apache Storm 1.2.1 and Apache Kafka 1.1.1.
On my initial tests, I have:

   - *6 supervisor nodes *
   - 1 worker per node
   - 7 KafkaSpout executors per worker
   - 1 bolt (that does nothing) per worker
   - 0 Ackers
   - 2 Kafka brokers with *42 partitions *on the topic

With that configuration, no matter how I change some other configs (Please
see list below), my topology is capping out at around 48k TPS.
Please note that CPU usage, for the Supervisor nodes, is only around 20%
and Network usage is only around 20Mbps for both the Kafka Brokers and
Supervisor nodes, well below the network capacities.

Now, I have increased the supervisor nodes from 6 to 12 and used a new
topic with 82 partitions, thinking that scaling out could help the
performance.
So is this the new configuration:

   - *12 supervisor nodes *
   - 1 worker per node
   - 7 KafkaSpout executors per worker
   - 1 bolt (that does nothing) per worker
   - 0 Ackers
   - 2 Kafka brokers with *84 partitions* on the topic

And I'm still getting around 48k TPS.

Some other configs I played around with:

   - max.poll.records
   - max.spout.pending
   - processing.guarantee
   - offset.commit.period.ms
   - max.uncommitted.offsets
   - poll.timeout.ms
   - fetch.min.bytes
   - fetch.max.bytes
   - max.partition.fetch.bytes
   - receive.buffer.bytes
   - fetch.max.wait.ms
   - topology.executor.receive.buffer.size
   - topology.executor.send.buffer.size
   - topology.receiver.buffer.size
   - topology.transfer.buffer.size

Am I missing something here? Why is the throughput not improving?

Just to add, I have also done some performance isolation tests on both
Kafka and Storm.
On a distributed consumer using Spark and Kafka, I was able to get around
700K TPS (So we know that Kafka isn't the issue here).
And also I could get around 400k TPS on a custom Storm topology with 1
spout that generates random transactions and 1 bolt that does nothing.
I feel like the numbers don't add up and the topology shouldn't be capping
out at around 48K TPS.
Your suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Bernard