Dear Apache Storm Users,

we would like to update you on recent discussions regarding the future
of the Apache Storm project and its modules. As you may be aware, there
was a discussion to move Apache Storm to the attic due to resource
limitations and waning community involvement. However, we are pleased
to share that Storm will continue under the Apache Umbrella as a top
level project.

To ensure the sustainability and vitality of Apache Storm, we are now
focusing our efforts on maintaining the Storm 2.x series. However, in
order to streamline our development process and allocate resources
efficiently, we must address some challenges posed by less active
previously community-maintained modules.

Within the /external directory of the Apache Storm repository, there
are various modules that were once actively maintained by community
members, but over time, their activity has diminished. These modules
have placed a strain on the overall development process, and we believe
it's important to assess their current relevance to the community.

You can find the list of these modules at the following link:

https://github.com/apache/storm/tree/master/external

## Call for Your Input

To assess the actual usage and necessity of these modules, we have
created a GDPR-compliant survey. Your feedback is crucial in helping us
determine which modules are actively used and which ones may need to be
deprecated. Your input will greatly influence our decisions moving
forward.

## Access the Survey

We kindly ask you to participate in the survey by indicating whether
you are currently using any of the modules listed in the /external
directory. If you believe that a specific module is still essential, we
encourage you to consider contributing to its maintenance.

Here is the link to the survey:

https://terminplaner4.dfn.de/EYNJzD9U64UFGOGq

The survey is open till 30/09/2023 23:59 UTC

Of course, you can also just reply to this mail with your preference.
We will share the results after the survey is closed.

## Get Involved

If you are passionate about any of the modules that are on the verge of
being deprecated, this is your opportunity to step up and contribute.
Your involvement will not only ensure the continued existence of these
modules but also contribute to the overall health of the Apache Storm
ecosystem.

Thanks in advance!