Each machine can support a configurable number of workers. If a machine
goes away, it'll attempt to reassign the orphaned workers to other machines
using the fair scheduler.

1) Should you not have enough slots (worker slots), your topology will be a
'broken' state. However if you allow 4 workers per machine and run your
topology with 8 workers, you can run 2 minimum machines and still support
the topology.

If you are to auto-scale your workers, you'll need a long cooldown time
between changes. A rebalance isn't instant and must allow the topology to
drain before reshuffling workers. A rebalance will wait
{TUPLE_TIMEOUT_TIME} before rebalancing. Additionally, when adding workers
you'll need to trigger a rebalance.

2) If workers > slots, the topology will attempt to function but ultimately
freeze as the send buffers to that worker fill. I'm not sure what you mean
'round-robin fashion to distribute load' -- the ShuffleGrouping will
partition work across tasks on an even basis.

3) Yes, in storm.yaml, supervisor.slots.ports. By default it'll run with 4
slots per machine. See
https://github.com/nathanmarz/storm/blob/master/conf/defaults.yaml#L77

Michael Rose (@Xorlev <https://twitter.com/xorlev>)
Senior Platform Engineer, FullContact <http://www.fullcontact.com/>