> storm-kafka will be somewhat complicated by the fact that
> storm-kafka-0.8-plus was forked from the original source without commit
> history. We’ll also have to figure out both if to and how to maintain
> compatibility with two versions of kafka. I’ll propose starting with the
> original storm-kafka, preserving commit history, and we can work from
> there. As I mentioned previously, the author of storm-kafka-0.8-plus is
> willing to help out.
>
> While I agree that https://github.com/HolmesNL/kafka-spout is worthy of
> consideration, it’s a little more complicated from an IP clearance
> perspective. For that to be an option, I believe the Netherlands
> Forensics Institute (the entity owning the IP), would have to donate it
> to the ASF and go through a formal IP clearance process.
The reason we put the source for our take on the concept on github was
twofold:

- provide others with something that's worked well for us
- allow us to benefit from efforts outside our own team in improving our
component

If the ASF is interested in importing it, I'd personally say that would
fit our goals for the project. My personal opinion aside, I'll go find
someone who would be able to say something on the matter from the NFI's
point of view. The license should be compatible with such a step I
think, I'll get back to you on the rest of this when I know more.

Kind regards,

Mattijs Ugen
--
Netherlands Forensic Institute