Is storm-kafka integration still supported?

Am trying to setup a dev environment that encompasses storm + kafka

To that goal, I  have:

1. kafka 2.9.2-0.8.1 installed on my machine and independently running (all
local host).
2. Successfully configured via log4j a simple java app to write into kafka
(verified with output showing from the kafka-console-consumer.sh).
3. Downloaded the binaries apache-storm-0.9.1-incubating and placed its bin
in the path (verified that storm is now on the path with ³which storm²)
4. Created an eclipse project with the maven dependency on Storm and also
Kafka (didn¹t really know if I need Kafka pom dependency ­ assumed I would):

<dependency>

<groupId>org.apache.kafka</groupId>

<artifactId>kafka_2.9.2</artifactId>

<version>0.8.1</version>

</dependency>

<dependency>

<groupId>org.apache.storm</groupId>

<artifactId>storm-core</artifactId>

<version>0.9.1-incubating</version>

</dependency>

5. Want to use storm-contrib/storm-kafka , but there wasn¹t any pom.xml
there, no maven repo, and work seems to be frozen at version .7 kafka. The
KafkaSpout seems like the natural way to plug all of this together.
  Other sub-projects in contrib have  pom.xml files, but not storm-kafka .

Am I going about this the wrong way?  Should I ditch Kafka and use JMS? (and
give up on the supposed easy lo4j integration via kafka)?

I took up the approach of Storm/Kafka integration because it works for
twitter ­ am starting to have doubts Š.

While I wait for an answer, I¹m going to try to build storm-kafka and add to
my local maven repo Š.

SCott