Make sure you do not have a second nimbus daemon running by accident.

I saw this one time after someone had launched nimbus on a different host, yet
the file system on which nimbus was storing its state was an NFS mount.

It took a comically long time to figure out that a the second remote nimbus
daemon was clearing state as soon as the first local daemon was writing it.
--
Derek