Anything you can do in normal Java code, you can do inside a Storm bolt.
Check out any Java HTTP client (OkHttp, Apache HTTP Client, JerseyClient,
URLConnection etc.) and use it to fetch the data you need.

If your REST call takes a long time, it might be worth doing so
asynchronously and emitting the results downstream when the thread returns.
Just make sure that you're synchronizing your OutputCollector when emitting
from a multithreaded context.

Hope that helps.

Michael Rose (@Xorlev <https://twitter.com/xorlev>)
Senior Platform Engineer, FullContact <http://www.fullcontact.com/>