you can add the following in storm.yaml to enable
LoggingMetricsConsumer

 topology.metrics.consumer.register:

    - class: "backtype.storm.metric.LoggingMetricsConsumer"

      parallelism.hint: 1

storm UI doesn't display user provided metrics and it doesn't
also keep the historical data about the metrics , if the
cluster is restarted topology stats will be reset.

you can find bit more info on this page

[1]http://blog.relateiq.com/monitoring-storm/

-Harsha