UrlValidator is not the class that is instantiated  by ValidatorAction
because it doesn't know anything about Struts resources - the Struts
FieldChecks.validateUrl() method calls commons GenericValidator which
instantiates the UrlValidator.

Rather than using the struts FieldChecks.validateUrl(), create you own
version which instantiates the url validator and picks up <var> values to
configure it. Something like:

<field property="someUrl" depends="myUrlValidator">
      <var><var-name>slashes</var-name>
                <var-value>true</var-value>
      </var>
      <var><var-name>fragments</var-name>
                <var-value>true</var-value>
      </var>
</field>

   public static boolean validateUrl(Object bean,
                                        ValidatorAction va, Field field,
                                        ActionMessages errors,
                                        HttpServletRequest request) {

        String value = null;
        if (isString(bean)) {
            value = (String) bean;
        } else {
            value = ValidatorUtils.getValueAsString(bean,
field.getProperty());
        }
        int options = 0;

        if ("true".equals(field.getVarValue("slashes")))
             options += UrlValidator.ALLOW_2_SLASHES;

        if ("true".equals(field.getVarValue("fragments")))
             options += UrlValidator.ALLOW_2_SLASHES;

        UrlValidator urlValidator = new UrlValidator(options);

        if (!GenericValidator.isBlankOrNull(value) &&
!urlValidator.isValid(value)) {
            errors.add(field.getKey(), Resources.getActionMessage(request,
va, field));
            return false;
        } else {
            return true;