Kunal,

The "name" attribute specified for an <action> corresponds to the "name" attribute of the <form-bean>. This is how you relate a form to an action. If the names don't match then the Action won't know which form to use.

As far as conventions, I prefer the form names and the action paths to start with an uppercase character -- its then easier to distinguish them from form properties.

So you have the following:

<form-bean name="MyForm" type="com.foo.MyForm"/>
<action path="/DoSomething"
        name="/MyForm"
        type="com.foo.DoSomethingAction"/>

In addition, you will find that you have two actions for a JSP page -- one that sets up the data and forwards to the page for rendering. And the second that is responsible for processing the page on form submission. It is good to follow a convention for this pattern. For example, you can use "ViewBlah" for the page that sets up the page, and "ProcessBlah" for the page to which the form is submitted. Something like:

<action path="/ViewWidget"
        name="/WidgetForm"
        type="com.foo.ViewWidgetAction">
  <forward name="success" path="view_widget.jsp"/>
</action>

<action path="/ProcessWidget"
        name="/WidgetForm"
        type="com.foo.ProcessWidgetAction"
    validate="true"
       input="view_widget.jsp"/>

Kunal H. Parikh wrote:
I was wondering if I could attach a form with a name different to       that
of the action.

i.e. ===========
<form name="searchForm"
type="custom.searchForm"
/>

<action name="searchAction"
/>

I want to follow this pattern of naming conventions:
ActionName: searchAction
FromName: searchForm
ForwardName: searchResults (Assuming that I only have one forward for every
action)

TIA,

Kunal