For those who are as ignorant as I about XSL, there is
something called EXSLT:
http://exslt.org/

It is an open source initiative which provides common functions
for processing numbers, strings, etc...

Here are some links which I found helpful when learning and pushing
the boundries of XSL:

Elliot Rusty Harold - Great overview ...but its in a large single document
http://www.ibiblio.org/xml/books/bible2/chapters/ch17.html

XSL Reference with lots of examples (frames):
http://www.zvon.org/xxl/XSLTreference/Output/index.html

EXSL
http://www.exslt.org/

Functional Programming Library for XSLT:
http://fxsl.sourceforge.net/

Apache's Xalan:
http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/index.html

robert