Niall, thanks for your response.

It would appear that this is the result of the user having javascript
disabled on their browser.  Also, once we established that the users were
not actually submitting their forms, but were getting the error as soon as
they clicked on the link, it made it much easier to narrow down the problem.

This was the link:

The onclick is being ignored, and the <a href="#"... Was getting called
which was BAD.  It's the same result as if I did a right-click on the link
and selected 'open in new browser'.

So.. Not a struts issue at all.

Cheers,
Janice