Mike, Colin, Hubert:

Thanks very much for your replies! I now have my struts app log4j integrated into
eclipse. :))

To help eliminate future headaches, here's a link that helped me:

i added the Log4jInit servlet, updated web.xml, rebuilt and restarted and viola`,
log4j now is working as advertised!

I now believe Mike's Log4jPluginAction would have done the job too, since as he
mentioned in his note, log4j was not getting initialised. (don't ask me why: i cannot
figure that bit out..) Btw, I left commons-logging.jar alone, didn't seem to be a
problem..

Thanks a lot again: it's been a pretty ok Friday after all..:)
Geeta