Josh Cronemeyer wrote:

A kludge eh? Well, I've got one for you. Perhaps we can compare
kludges to see who has the ugliest one.

Now that's fightin' talk! NO-ONE does uglier kludges than me! :-)

I used this devious little tag: <c:set>. It allows you to store as a
variable the evaluated result of another tag.

The strange thing is that I had this very idea, but didn't even try it out, because I was taking a little too seriously the injunction that you cannot use the result of one tag as the input to another. Of course, a moment's thought reveals the illogicality of my fears - html:html, for example, wouldn't be of much use if you couldn't evaulate any other tags inside it! The injunction obviously only applies to attributes.

I'll give this one a go!

John