my problem..

I have a list-backed actionform...
That list can have more than one locationObject javabean...
The locationObject javabean has some fields, including an errorFormat
field..
That errorFormat field can be set using a mutator method from the javabean
called setErrorFormat("BACKGROUND:#000000;COLOR:#FFFFFF;")..
I am not using the validate method of the actionForm..

my solution..
from inside an Action I do the following..

LocationObjectForm lof= (LocationObjectForm)form;
LDHelper ldh= LDHelper();
LocationObject lob= new LocationObject();
List locations= lof.getLocations();
Iterator cnt= locations.iterator();
boolean isDirty= false;
while(cnt.hasNext()){
  lob= (LocationObject)cnt.next();
  if(!ldh.validateRecord(lob.getCompareField1, lob.getCompareField2)){
      // if the record is not correct,
      // then i set the errorformat css style
      lob.setErrorFormat("BACKGROUND:#000000;COLOR:#FFFFFF;");
      isDirty= true;
  }else{
      // i dont want any error format for good records..
      lob.setErrorFormat("");
  }

  // put the checked list back to the session
  req.getSession().setAttribute("locations", locations);

  if(isDirty){
      // forwarded to the same page or tile definition..
      // just to refresh and show the error style where needed..
     return map.findForward("refreshThisDefinition");
  }
  // if there is no problem then jump to the next definition or page..
   return map.findForward("nextDefinition");
}

then.. in the page where i display the records..

<logic:iterate name=locationform property=locations id=lob indexId=cnt>
<%
 List locations= locationform.getLocations();
 LocationObject lob= locations.get( cnt.intValue() );
 String estilo= lob.getErrorFormat();
%>
</logic:iterate>

Using this I accomplished one of my latest tasks.. :)  I highlight the
incorrect records, so the users will see their errors easier.

Atte.
Domingo A. Rodriguez S.

 --- Niall Pemberton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> escribió: > To
make this kind of feature useful there needs to be some way of