The readonly-attribute can have the following two states

- readonly
and
- [nothing].

There is no
   readonly ="true"
or
   readonly="false"
for HTML text-input-fields.

(The same applies for the 'disabled'- and 'checked'-attributes of e.g. checkboxes)

For this reason the browsers behavior is correct. OK, maybe it's a little misleading (if you are used to boolean-variables in Java or any other programming language), but why specify
readonly="false"
when
"writable"
is the default anyway?