This is not just a problem with JSTL, it's a "problem" with JSPs in general.
A JSP page will default to the system encoding, and not what you may specify
on the response somewhere up the chain.

I'm aware of 3 options.

1) Use a Servlet filter as suggested. This only works on Servlet 2.3 and
higher containers.

2) add this to the top of your JSPs maybe in an include:
<%@ page contentType = "text/html; charset=UTF-8" %>

3) Use another view technology like Velocity

And that's half the battle. The other half is making sure that you can
accept input as UTF-8. But that's a story for another day.

john