usefull...
though it adds yet another tag library to my pages!

best i came up with is:

<% pageContext.setAttribute("lf", "\n"); %>
<c:out value="${fn:replace(employee.contactAddress,lf, '<br>')}"
escapeXml="false"/>

is there really no escape sequence for new line in el?

Would seem like a rather big shortfall to me!

Daniel.