Brian,
This can definately get confusing if you are just thrown into the mix.

Tomcat 5 is definately the right way to go, its faster, more stable and
supports newer specs. Struts, IIRC, is designed to only need the Servlet 2.2
and JSP 1.0 or 1.1 spec, it was meant to be super-compatible, soyou should be
safe.

There is information on the Struts page (under future direction) where it
explains that the next Struts 2.0 release might change to require Servlet
2.3/JSP 1.2 I believe it was.

As far as JSTL, just get the newest version possible. JSTL it a set of
taglibs, and JSP has supported taglibs for a while. But if you want to get
fancy with the Expression Language support in JSTL, then you will need a
container that supports Servlet 2.4 spec (which Tomcat 5 does just fine).

I believe I've left out gaping holes of information, and may even be wrong,
but AFAIK this is the gist of the version information you need. Generally
going with the newest stuff you can find is pretty safe, especially with
Jakarta projects (stuff comming out of apache group). They have one of the
strictest (I love it) release cycles I've ever seen when it comes to shipping
stable stuff.

I hope that helped atleast a little,
Riyad