De: None None [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Enviado el: jueves, 27 de mayo de 2004 0:00
Para: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Asunto: RE: How long are your struts-config files? Should I
worry about
performance?

My config file for a project I'm currently working on is 7k, and that's NOT counting comments (something like 16k counting them - I'm a comment freak). Since it's only parsed once at startup, I wouldn't be too overly concerned about performance. Yes, your talking about a lookup for each request, and I'm not familiar with how it's stored internally (just a HashMap maybe?), but I wouldn't suspect it's a huge concern. I can't speak to how typical that size is of course, but it's one example.

I should also point out that the app I'm referring to was
originally built
on a homegrown framework (I didn't write it, so don't laugh
at ME when I
tell you this)... it used a very convoluted mapping XML file
structure, much
more complex than struts-config, and the that version of the
file was 43k!
Again, NOT counting comments!  And to make matter worse, this
file was
actually parsed WITH EACH REQUEST!!  But, and here's where I
get to a point
(aside from the fact that those that wrote that framework
didn't know their
a** from their elbows)... performance even under those
conditions with a
halfway decent load (50 concurrent users at any given time on
average) was
perfectly acceptable.  And it wasn't a monstrous server either (Dual
P2-550's with 1G RAM and a SCSI array internally).

So, I wouldn't be too concerned with the size of your
struts-config, unless
someone else has reason to disagree.  A couple of K wouldn't
concern me.