I can see where you're going with the mixing of business logic and views.

I will admit that in parts i have done this.  A quick javascript check gives
a much quicker response that submit/redisplay form.  Especially when you get
some of the massive pages in our system.  One solution i had was to do both.
The javascript deals with validation, for the user, but the business logic
also validates data using actionforms, and only proceeds if it passes.

Cheers for the span tip. It will reduce some of my needs for double
requests.  However sometimes the iframe saves requesting more than necessary
in the response - eg when searching data, only replace the inside of the
iframe.

Daniel.