You tried the Declarative Security model built into Tomcat? You can use
that to talk to the database by defining a "JDBCRealm".

Or even better (since that doesn't give you a login form you can use the
way you might expect to), take a look at SecurityFilter, which is what I
use.

http://www.securityfilter.org

HTH