> I am in the process of creating my login page. I want to use struts to
> produce a form, I also want to handle the authentication myself
> because their are some advanced things I wish to do, for instance,
> my login form makes certian they are an active user. If they are a
> suspended user, it will display a suspension page giving instructions
> and not log the user in. If they are a new user who has not yet been
> validated (email confirmation) then it presents a form where they fill
> in the 6 digit code sent to their email. Then and only then will they
> be logged in. Their are a few other senarios but that's the basics.

It sounds like you want to basically implement your own authentication
system, but still have request.getRemoteUser and request.isUserInRole
work (along with web.xml security-contstraints).

Here's a quick-and-dirty approach that seems to work well enough. The
overall outline is something like:

- implement your custom authentication system however you want
- on the last stage of your process, use Javascript to simulate posting
the form to j_security_check, for example:

<form id="form1" action="j_security_check">
   <input type="hidden" name="j_username" value="<%= inputUsername %>">
   <input type="hidden" name="j_password" value="<%= inputPassword %>">
</form>

I don't recall the details completely, but hopefully this points you in
the right direction.  There may also be a more elegant solution by
registering a custom JAAS CallbackHandler or LoginContext; you might
want to look into this as well.

-- Bill
--
Bill Schneider