From: Adam Lipscombe [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2004 9:02 AM
To: 'Struts Users Mailing List'
Subject: Specifying JAAS permission on a per-action basis

Folks,

I am using JAAS with the Tagish libraries to authenticate users via a JDBC
lookup. This works.

What I need to do now is to specify permissions on an action-by-action
basis, but I am unclear about how this is achieved...

Dan Moore's excellent tutorial at http://www.mooreds.com/jaas.html shows an
example of setting permissions via a policy configuration file ("Example 8.
Sample JAAS policy file").

I have also read that its possible to specify permission via a "roles"
attribute on the action mapping definition in the struts-config.xml file.

Does anyone know if these approaches to permission setting are complimentary
or mutually exclusive?
Does anyone know which is the best?

I would prefer to set the perms in struts-config if possible, if only to
keep all the config in the same file. An example of setting perms this way
would be great.

TIA - Adam