I've been tasked with sending out emails which contain both HTML and text.
I have successfully implemented this and tested it in Outlook 2000, 2002, 2003,
Outlook Express and various web email clients (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc...).

The problem I have is that some users, get the emails
with a message like the following:

"This message uses a character set that is not supported by the Internet
Service.  To view the original message content,  open the attached message.
If the text doesn't display correctly, save the attachment to disk, and then
open it using a viewer that can display the original character set."

Googling produced the following semi-helpful result:

http://www.jguru.com/faq/view.jsp?EID=132654

Now, when I create the email message using the JavaMail API, I use something
similar to the following:

String text = // get text portion of email body
String html = // get html portion of email body

/*
* Create a multipart mime message where
* the client setting will determine which
* message is rendered.
*/

MimeMultipart multipart = new MimeMultipart("alternative");

// add text body part
MimeBodyPart textBodyPart = new MimeBodyPart();
textBodyPart.setText(text, "US-ASCII"); //char-set for encoding

// add HTML body part
MimeBodyPart htmlBodyPart = new MimeBodyPart();
htmlBodyPart.setContent(html, "text/html");

multipart.addBodyPart(text);
multipart.addBodyPart(html);

msg.setContent(multipart);

Has anyone run into a simliar issue? It seems to only happen with Outlook 2003
users, but since I cannot reproduce the problem, it's hard for me to solve it.

robert