I typically validate the surrounding html, and hope that struts/jstl is generating
good html. If it's not, then there is probably little I can do anyway.   I have also
been known to employ a web crawling tool to crawl the site and save the pages to disk
and then run validation on those pages.  It's a shell script I wrote though.