Hi Bill,

Many thanks for your response, I think I got bogged down the email... It was
also late for me, so couldn't put the problem succinctly, but after a few
hours sleep it became clearer... What I was trying to do was retrieve a
value from the map-backed hash map to get a default value for a drop down
list (a html:select tag use), and the property name of the dropdown to be
retrieved is taken from another bean...

In essence the jsp becomes,

              <bean:define id="ht" property="hmOfLists" name="dao"/>
                <logic:iterate id="element" name="ht">
                <bean:define id="filterName" property="key" name="element"/>

                <%
                        String props = "value(" +
pageContext.getAttribute("filterName") + ")";
                    %>

property="value"/>
                </logic:iterate>

where dropdown label/values are stored in array lists that are in turn
stored in a hashmap contained in the bean "dao". The FormBean contains a
hashmap that is accessed via setValue/getValue methods. This dynamically
produces dropdowns at runtime, with default parameters defined by the
mapbacked action form.

I was trying to use jstl stuff for dynamically setting the props string and
failing... Hope it didn't make your night much later.

Rgds,
John