From: Apurva Goswami [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, July 12, 2004 11:50 AM
To: 'Struts Users Mailing List'
Subject: RE: logging

Try

Put these lines on top of your class file
// Log4j
// Log4j with Try-Catch: try {...} catch (Exception e) { cat.error(e,
e); }
static org.apache.log4j.Category cat =
org.apache.log4j.Category.getInstance("File Name".class.getName());

E.g.
static org.apache.log4j.Category cat =
org.apache.log4j.Category.getInstance(ResResourceManager.class.getName()
);

Use these methods as per your requirement
cat.debug() - >  cat.debug("", e);
cat.error() - >  cat.error("", e);
cat.fatal() - >  cat.fatal("", e);

It prints the method name in the log and you do not need to pass.

E.g. if I use statement :
if (cat.isDebugEnabled()) cat.debug("Retrieved " +
agencyDepPortsDropDownList.count() + " " + countrycode + " Ports");

I get this in my log file :
(CoreFareMainL:3515 initAgencyDepPortsDropDownList) - Retrieved 117 AU
Ports

(Class file: linenumber method ) - string message

Hope it helps

Cheers
Apurva