One strategy is to wrap the SQLException thrown by mySQL
in a meaningful ApplicationException which can be caught in your action class
or declarative exception handling mechanism and "interpretted"
into the appropriate client error message which can be placed
in the appropriate scope (request or session) which can in turn
be rendered in the .jsp page.

robert