Ok, let me get this straight.  I'll go down the list and you see if I
have each step correct:

1. Put a string in some scope, like the request scope:

request.setAttribute("thispagetitle", results.getWhatever());

2. In my "results" page, I want the title of that page to be the value
that I sent back as "thispagetitle", so I will do this:

<tiles:useAttribute id="thispagetitle" name="pagetitle"/>

Which will put the value of "thispagetitle" into "pagetitle".

3. Then, in my template file, whatever is put into "pagetitle" will be
displayed:

<title>Results: <tiles:getAsString name="pagetitle"/></title>

...which should display getWhatever() in step #1.

Is that the way this thing works?

Thank you for your help!

Andy