From: Jim Barrows [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2004 9:16 AM
Subject: RE: Help on Action implementing thread for checking user
registration thru email?

-----Original Message-----
From: struts Dude [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 9:14 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Help on Action implementing thread for checking user registration thru email?

Hi,

I am going to write an app that allow user to register in a JSP page, press submit, then user redirected to a new page telling user to check

email, click on a link on email, redirected to a page, then commit user info to database. If user doesn't do this within 24 hrs, then delete user info.

I have no problem sending email with a unique link made up
of unique username plus some random generated digits and characters.

I was wandering if anyone has done this and give me some tips.

The way I see it is commit user's registration detail to database 1st when user click submit, then send email (using jarkata mailer tag).

Then delete user record if user don't click/visit link on dynamically
generated link within 24 hr from email. The link would have parameter
that can tell an Action who is visiting.

Problem:
Now, how do I write an Action that will check back latter after 24 Hrs

for an user?? Using thread in Action??? Dunno if that's a good idea.

The way I am going to do this is, have an Action implement thread, for

evey user registration, set wake up (check back) interval after 24 hr.

Every user visiting this Action will wake up Action and do validation.

After that, Action goes back to sleep.

Is this a good idea??

Let's see... how many users on your website signing up for mail? Which is going to leave how many threads hanging around in a 24 hour period? Yuck. Yuck.

What you are really looking for is outside of struts, since struts is
only an MVC framework, not an application framework.