It may not be a perfect solution, but you can specify multiple values for
that property.  Maybe something like this would work:

struts.custom.i18n.resources=store, documents

or even:

struts.custom.i18n.resources=com.package.store, com.package.documents

Which would allow you to have a com/package/store.properties on the
classpath, and a com/package/documents.properties as well.  They're both
technically global, but as long as you treat them as package specific, they
will behave fine.
  (*Chris*)