I'm having an issue using the s:text tag, in that it is displaying garbage
on the screen. But if I use a s:property tag all works well.

For example if I use the two following tags and select Arabic:
<s:property value="getText('language.selection.instructions')"/>
<s:text name="language.selection.instructions" searchValueStack="false"/>

The first works as expected and the displayed text is perfect, but the
second just produces a series of question marks.

I'd appreciate any help as we've just spent a shit load of time
standardising on s:text and I don't really want to have to do it all over
again.

We are using struts 2.2.2, everything is UTF-8, struts, jsp, sitemesh,
freemarker and jdbc connection.

Z.